Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Authorized form of the name

Q. I checked the LC authorities, but then found a different form of the name in the Western Libraries catalogue. Which should I use?

A. Always use the form that you find in the LC authorities. The Western Libraries catalogue has been contributed to over many years, and some material was added when the rules were different (or may someone hadn't died yet so the dates look like the person is still alive.)

Monday, September 20, 2010

LCSH assignment, question 3

Q. The question seems kind of vague.
A. The point of the question is for you to think about the various resources that you might use to find the subject of a work and comment on their relative usefulness. I don't think that's a vague question, unless by vague you mean that there's more than one answer. I'm expecting everyone to have a different answer.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

In question 3 on the assignment, what is "work in hand"??

A. When you are cataloguing you usually have something to look at, i.e. a work in hand. It's just a phrase to describe what you have on your desk or computer screen that you are working on.

Where is the class web site?

A. Go to the FIMS intranet, look under "faculty and class web sites" and it's under my name. If you are working on something like an assignment, please be sure to download a copy and work on your own copy. If you work on the copy on the class web site, everyone will see your answers.

Authorized headings

Q. I was wondering if we are to only use the authorized headings.

Or I guess my general question is whether "handbooks, manuals, etc." is a free-floating subdivison that could be appended to any authorized heading.

A. Try looking up "handbooks, manuals, etc." in the authorities list or in the free-floating subdivisions list and see what it says. I believe that I mentioned in class that free-floating subdivisions can be added to any heading.

Thursday, September 16, 2010


Please post your questions from LIS9002 here, and I'll answer them!